Opus Locus Forums
Support for all things Opus Locus

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch     UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private messagesPrivate messages   Log inLog in 

How to use Behringers BCEdit Java application on Mac OS X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Opus Locus Forums Forum Index -> LC Xmu general discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: How to use Behringers BCEdit Java application on Mac OS X Reply with quote

For its BCR2000 and BCF2000 controllers, Behringer provides an editor application called BCEdit that's written in Java and should work cross-platform. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on Mac OS X out of the box. This is half Apple's and half Behringer's fault.

You can get it to work, but it's not an easy process, so you probably wouldn't want to if you don't have to. However, if you need to use BCEdit, here's how it works:

1. Apple's Java implementation has a bug that prevents Java applications from discovering connected MIDI devices. Therefore, when you click Scan in BCEdit, BCEdit will not find the connected BCR/BCF. To fix this, download the Plumstone Java extension and put it into /Library/Java/Extensions.

2. Now BCEdit should be able to find the connected BCR/BCF and download settings from it, but it will still not be able to upload modified or newly created settings to the BCR/BCF. If you try to do so, a timeout will occur. This is because Behringer somehow managed to use 4 incorrect non-ASCII characters in the MIDI data stream. I don't know how to fix this directly to enable BCEdit to upload settings to the BCR/BCF, but you can export these settings as SysEx files. In these files, you can fix the incorrect characters, and then upload the SysEx file with SysEx Librarian.

To fix the characters, you will need a small Unix program. To compile this program, open a new project in XCode (I called my version debehringer Wink), choose "Command Line Utility > Standard Tool" as project type, and insert the following code into main.c:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main (int argc, const char * argv[])
{
   int      i, j, c, Buffer[1000000];
   FILE   *SYX, *BCR = fopen("Output.bcr.syx", "r");

for(i=0; (c=getc(BCR))!=EOF && i<1000000; i++)
   {
      if(i==0 && c==0x3f) c=0xf0;
      else if(i>0 && c==0x3f && Buffer[i-1]==0xd6) {Buffer[i-1]=0xf7; c=0xf0;}
      else if(i>0 && c==0x7f && Buffer[i-1]==0x7f) {Buffer[i-1]=0x0; c=0x15;}

Buffer[i]=c;
   }
   fclose(BCR);

SYX = fopen("Output.FIXED.syx", "w");
   for(j=0; j<i; j++) putc(Buffer[j], SYX);
   fclose(SYX);

return 0;
}

Name the SysEx file from BCEdit Output.bcr.syx, make the folder with this SysEx file the current directory in Terminal and run the debehringer utility from Terminal. This will create a file Output.FIXED.syx which you can upload with SysEx Librarian.

I hope this helps if you really need to use BCEdit.
johnpitcairn
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I was aware of the bad characters in transmitted/saved BCEdit sysex files on OS X, but hadn't investigated further, since the hardware editing works pretty well. If I have some spare time (hah), I'll attempt an Applescript version for drag-&-drop use.
Uli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnpitcairn wrote:
If I have some spare time (hah)

Now I take subtle hints ... Mr. Green

Here's a debehringer Cocoa Droplet: ftp://ftp.ritual.org/MacOSX/Applications/debehringer.1.0.zip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Opus Locus Forums Forum Index -> LC Xmu general discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: